//Tools & Software

/
0 Comments

Tools and software are necessities when producing content. I use a wide variety of them when producing music, designing and editing. I'll list the main tools and software I enjoy using and what their primary uses are for. I will also include tips on them in later blog posts, so stay tuned.

Software

FL Studio 11 + Plugins
This piece of software is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). It is a complete software music production environment and has everything you need in one package to compose, arrange, record, edit, mix and master professional quality music. I've grown up using it and have become familiar with it over the last 10 or so years. Through it's updates over time it has become better and better and now is my favourite choice to produce music in. Some key plugins to note are Massive VST, Nexus, and Kontakt. These contain all kinds of instruments and samples to use in your music. Utilizing midi tools like the ones I list below, you can play keystrokes and this software will record them. Combining hand played melodies with samples and effects leads to full blown music. It is literally the fastest way to place music you can think of onto speakers.

Photoshop CS6
Photoshop is a raster graphics editor that has the abilities to edit and render complex photos. I use it primarily for editing photographs I take as well as graphic edits. I created my brand image within it, YouTube thumbnails and have even performed freelance work for others.

After Effects CS6
AE is a digital motion graphic, visual effects and compositing piece of software that I primarily use for creating videos. It has many possibilities and is a fun program to play around with and experiment within.

Virtual DJ Pro/Traktor 2
These two pieces of software share the same purpose. They are used to mix music, with the use of a DJ controller. I mention the one I personally use below under Tools.

Gyazo
This is my favourite way to share what I'm working on with friends or potential clients. It is similar to the snipping tool except once you select the area you want to screenshot and share, it automatically uploads online and provides a link to use.

Tools

M-Audio Oxygen 61 Midi Keyboard
Pressure sensitive keys, assignable knobs and sliders; all the things you hope for in a keyboard. The Oxygen 61 by M-Audio is my favourite keyboard to play music on and works flawlessly with FL Studio.

Akai MPK Mini
Perhaps the most versatile tool out there. It is an ultra-compact keyboard with 25 keys, 8 backlit MPC-style pads and 8 Q-Link knobs. Plus buttons for extra control. It is as small as a notebook and almost as light as one too. Great for producing music on the go or when you don't want to bust out the full scale piano. Plus the pads are great for laying out drum patterns.

Hercules DJ Controller
This is a great dj control surface for beginners. Has 2 decks, built in audio inputs, pressure sensitive jog wheels, sliders, faders, knobs etc. Essentially everything you'll ever need to DJ. An added bonus is how small it is.

Nikon D3100 DSLR
A DX format DSLR Nikon F-mount camera. Not the greatest camera you can buy in the present day, however it gets the job done successfully. Has HD video capabilities and all the main features you'd want in a camera like shutter speed settings, built-in pop up flash, interchangeable lens etc.

V-Moda Crossfade LP
Best headphones that will never break. Period.

There you have it! That's all the primary tools I enjoy using.

//Frostixa


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.